share visit
08Aug2013

Who Encourages You?

MY FATHER ALWAYS ENCOURAGED ME TO WRITE A BOOK. Driving each morning for the past 17 years to my orthodontic office, I would call my father and tell him about the things we were doing at Gorczyca Orthodontics for our patients, for our community, and for our referring doctors. He loved hearing about these special things and thought other dentists would, too.

Marketing Is Very Important In The Healthcare Industry

When I was a student at Harvard School of Dental Medicine, I had the opportunity to study at Harvard School of Public Health in the Department of Health Management and Policy. There, I attended my first marketing lectures and started to understand the importance and broad-reaching effects of marketing in the healthcare industry. I learned that marketing involves many things including case studies, comparisons, differentiation, product analysis, demographics, communities and target audiences. Marketing is about personal preferences, branding and customer service. Marketing is the ability to move others and direct them toward what we have to offer—dentistry. This perspective is valuable to all dental professionals, in the marketing of their business, the dental practice.

I Hope My Book Makes A Difference

My new book It All Starts with Marketing—201 Marketing Tips for Growing a Dental Practice is a collection of ideas, experiences and strategies I used to gain new patients and grow my orthodontic practice from scratch from the ground up. I hope that several of these tips will be helpful to its readers, especially those dentists just starting out who may need a little help, encouragement, a positive push or a “you-can-do-it” cheer to make them feel more empowered to persevere. I hope this book is also useful to those who have been in practice for several years; those who are looking for a few new ideas to help make their patients feel special, their team more engaged and their dental office just a little more fun.

My Dad Encouraged Me

My father was the most positive, loving, and optimistic person I have ever met. He was so looking forward to the release of this first book. I received the first final printed copy on July 30, 2013. I lost my Dad two days earlier.

Ultimately, we all encourage ourselves. For me personally this book will not only be the story of marketing at Gorczyca Orthodontics in Antioch, California, but also a reflection of the beautiful memories of the morning phone conversations I would have with my Dad. “To my father, Fryderyk, who always encouraged me to write a book.

About The Author

Dr. Ann Marie Gorczyca is a Clinical Adjunct Professor of Orthodontics at the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry, University of the Pacific, where she speaks on practice management topics including marketing, teamwork, treatment coordination, customer service, management systems and human resource management. She was a marketing speaker at the 2011 and 2012 American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) Annual Sessions and will speak again in 2014. Formerly a faculty member at UCSF School of Dentistry, she has received teaching awards from UCSF and University of the Pacific Dental Schools.

Discussion

14 responses to "Who Encourages You?"

• Sheri Kay says:

I am so excited for you! And please know that my heart about stopped when I read that you lost your father. He sounds like an amazing man and there is no love like the love a daughter has for her dad…

Best of luck for you on your new book, and I’m happy to promote it for you my friend!

• Patty says:

Congratulations on your book! Your dad’s love and encouragement lives on. And, what a beautiful photo of you!

• AnnMarieGorczyca says:

Thanks Patty! I hope you enjoy the book. One of my patients took the photo in the entrance of our building at 5201 Deer Valley in Antioch. Have a great day!

• AnnMarieGorczyca says:

Thank you Sheri Kay!

You’re also IN THE BOOK!- page 106 Tip #158. Team Day Continuing Education- …”a guest speaker, Sheri Kay, a hygienist from ACT Dental Consulting…half-day Team Day CE course. You’ll have to read about the rest!

I hope you will be pleased. Thank you again for all that you have done for the dental community of East Contra Costa County, California.

• Congratulations on your first book! What a accomplishment.
    Certainly, your father would be very proud.
    Keep up the great work.
    Sincerely,
    Bridget

• AnnMarieGorczyca says:

Thanks, Bridget! I hope you enjoy the book. I’m sure you would recognize many of the stories and unnamed characters. Hope to see you again soon!

• lynne usinger says:

Bravo, Ann Maire! Your father would be enormously proud as I am sure he let you know, book or no book. But, wonderful to see this book on Amazon! You did it! My sincerest congratulations! I am gong to order one!
    …fabulous picture, by the by!

• Sloan McDonald DDS says:

Dear Ann Marie,
    I am so proud of you! Well done and much continued success!
    Sloan

• AnnMarieGorczyca says:

Thanks Sloan! #96. Homecoming Sponsor. …”Sharing my excitement for the upcoming day with my friend, the oral surgeon upstairs, she asked, “How can I join in? She joined me in my red convertible…..putting the public back in public relations!” Hope you enjoy the book!

• John Jovan says:

Hi, Dr. Gorczyca, I was looking through some of my papers and found a concert program from Suday, December 7, 1986 (3:00 p.m. Paine Hall, Harvard University, “Ann Marie Gorczyca, Flute, Carol Ann Pharo, Harpsichord, Jack A. Stabile, Piano…”
    I and yes, I was there… I was the admirer of your ever smiling eyes (worked at MIT Student Center Library where you used to study for couple of months…
    Oh well, I still recognize your beautiful eyes… Time does change all of us, (I look now like escapee from a concentration camp).
    I am still in Boston area, am now a “self-thought Philosopher” (go once a month to Philosophy meetings at Goethe Institute and spend lots of time just wondering about this big mystery that we are all involved in). I also daily have some touch with reality by following stock market (about 1 hour or more every day). Anyway, you are still ambitious and have probably no time to waste by reading this or responding to an old admirer–I think I am old enough to be your surrogate father—->do you need one, I am available… All the best, John J.

• AnnMarieGorczyca says:

Dear John,
      I am amazed by your kind note.
      Thank you for coming to that concert and remembering it all these years later! You brought back a nice memory of a special day and concert when I was a student at Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
      We loved that MIT Library in those days, too. So incredible that you still remember the students there.
      I hope you are still enjoying classical music. I’m glad you’re visiting the Goethe Institute. That is a great place.
      It sounds like you have a wonderful retirement. Enjoy each and every day!
      Thanks again and all my very best to you. Ann Marie G.

• Hi Ann Marie,

You encourage me! I love your spunk, perseverance and positive can do attitude! You are excited instead of afraid to try new things. Bravo to you my friend on your first book. It All Starts With Marketing is my go to manual for innovative and realistic marketing ideas that get results!

I can’t way to see what comes next for you! I am proud to call you my friend.

Judy Kay Mausolf
    Speaker/Coach/Author

You encourage me! I don’t know what I would have done without your enthusiasm and encouragement and worldly experience of how things would be with this book! I feel so fortunate to know you. We all can’t wait to see you in Antioch, California on February 5th, 2014!